guix-devel

Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Desktops on non-x86_64 systems
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 13:38:00 +0100

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>>> Perhaps we can address all this in several steps:
>>>
>>>   1. apply the librsvg 2.40 hack now so we can merge
>>>      ‘core-updates-frozen’ this week for real;

[...]

> I hear your frustration w.r.t to delays; I don't mind if this stopgap
> solution is implemented *now*, but I'm skeptical that it'd allow GNOME
> to built.

Status update: there’s now ‘librsvg-for-system’ used in a variety of
places, which selects librsvg 2.40 (in C) on non-x86_64 systems:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates-frozen&id=8477a6d743f3068e449402ade739355878242377

It’s used in a number of places, including GTK+, Emacs, Mate, and Xfce:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates-frozen&id=2561f2720f6afdab47991e6430dc8a1215a27bc7

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates-frozen&id=3bd7ce60530ad363e235f458ecbe2bcc9454242a

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates-frozen&id=efbaa5fcc8caeae7228c8f06c13879e7e920f5ea

We can now build Mate and Xfce on i686, with SVG support in GTK+
(without that I suppose they’d be next to unusable because many/most
icons are SVGs these days.)

What we still cannot build is GNOME, and it seems to be out of reach
because gnome → gjs → rust… unless we can use an older GJS or even
Duktape?

It’s a problem because GDM is in ‘%desktop-services’.

Ludo’.