guix-devel

Re: ‘core-updates-frozen’: julia status update

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: ‘core-updates-frozen’: julia status update
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:49:12 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 at 03:13, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently rebuilding all the julia-* packages.  It is high probable
> some are now broken.  But it appears to me not a blocker for the
> merge.

All is fixed in patch#52117 [1].  After this hacking session,

 1. The package julia uses parallelism to build, i.e., it requires much
    much less time to build; something like 5x speedup on Berlin.

 2. The julia-build-system runs the tests with some degree of
    parallelism.  The speedup depends on each ’test/runtests.jl’ script
    provided by the package julia-* itself.

The strong issues to tackle are:

 a) bug#22304: build julia package with reproducible
 b) bug#47354: build julia-* packages reproducible

1: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52117>
2: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22304>
3: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/47354>

Cheers,