guix-devel

Re: Flag day for simplified package inputs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Flag day for simplified package inputs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:22:19 +0100

Hi,

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:

> When applying this and future bulk changes, could we perhaps list the
> specific commits (+ commented shortlog line) in a file. To clarify, if
> we were to store these commits in `.git-blame-ignore-revs', later on we
> can instruct users to run:
>
> git config blame.ignoreRevsFile .git-blame-ignore-revs
>
> to ignore the bulk change for git blame purposes.

Sounds like a good idea.  There’s no particular convention regarding the
file name of ‘.git-blame-ignore-revs’, right?

> It seems like a maintainable way to mitigate some of the (IMO) major
> disadvantages that we bring in by applying bulk changes.

The disadvantage of changes is that they introduce changes, indeed.  :-)

But really, I think we should be able to find relevant hints as comments
and use VCS history more as a last resort.

Thanks,
Ludo’.