guix-devel

ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: ZFS part of Guix? RFC? (Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 11:54:15 +0100

Hello Denis.  Thank you for your write-up.

raid5atemyhomework wrote patches to add ZFS to Guix
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45692>.  I put them in CC.  That there is
no decision on ZFS and their patches is bad.  Maybe their patches
would be for the RFC model to decide?

As for Denis’ arguments
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-11/msg00101.html>:

IANAL but I would dispute this:

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 02:33:24AM +0100, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> If I take individual drivers from Linux which are under the GPLv2 or
> the GPLv2 or later, and I combine them in a new combined work on a new
> git repository with code under the CDDL license, this is not legal
> either. And here too I hope that there is some consensus on that too.

If we are talking about source code, the GPLv2 files and the CDDL
files are not intertwined into a combined work at all.  They are just
in the same git repo on the same file-system.

However I agree that ZFS is unsafe territory; courts might decide
otherwise.

Regards,
Florian