guix-devel

python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packagin

From: Théo Maxime Tyburn
Subject: python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packaging python-ipydatawidgets
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:52:58 +0100

Hi Guixs,

I am trying to package "python-ipydatawidgets" which relies on
"python-jupyter-packaging" which in turn relies on
"python-setuptools". It fails seemingly because the setuptools version
is outdated (41.2.0) even if the guix pakage python-setuptools is said
to have version 52.0.0 or 58.0.0

To test the version of setuptools I ran:
> guix shell --pure python-setuptools@52.0.0 python python-ipython --
> ipython -c "import setuptools; setuptools.__version__"
>Out[1]: '41.2.0'

Looking at the source code of setuptools in my store and comparing it to
the setuptools source on github I seems outdated indeed. I located the
source in the store with
> guix shell --pure python-setuptools@52.0.0 python python-ipython --
> ipython -c "import setuptools; setuptools.__file__"
> Out[1]:
> '/gnu/store/sd2ic7bpv8fx3imy1j8xcjclx71sv6q0-python-3.8.2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/setuptools/__init__.py'

I don’t understand how this could happen though since the definition of
python-setuptools seems just fine in python-xyz.scm ...

I pretty knew to packaging so I might be missing something obvious. Any idea ?

Cheers,

Théo