guix-devel

Re: Time for a request-for-comments process?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Time for a request-for-comments process?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 19:01:46 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 at 17:52, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

>> However, as I said elsewhere, this effort should start be collecting
>> what do we consider as changes requiring formal process?
>
> Agreed, that’s what I meant above.

I meant, based on changed already merged.  For instance, on the top of
my head, some changes that *I* consider requiring a RFC:

 - new inputs style
 - guix shell
 - authentication
 - GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH (not finished and not documented)

And it would be nice if we could come with a list of such changes.  It
would help for finding patterns – if they are :-) – for examples,
numbers of people involved in the discussion, time between each reply,
structure of the cover letters, etc.

> I don’t have an answer, but I think we should look at what others are
> doing, what criteria they use, etc.  The Nix RFC process is probably the
> closest match in terms of application domain, but maybe others are
> closer to the way we practice decision-making in Guix.

Yeah, for sure, several items need definitions. ;-)

 - which kind of change requires a RFC?
 - what is the process?
 - how to decide?  Accept or reject?
 - who decide?