guix-devel

Re: Linux-libre source code will be taken offline

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: Linux-libre source code will be taken offline
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:46:42 -0700

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:30:29 -0400
Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> I didn't check that the files are bit-identical, but my understanding
> is that the "old" revisions of the deblobbing scripts are available
> here:
>
> https://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/old/

Yes. In gen6. They have been moved, not deleted.

The versioning and locations in terms of gnuN and genN are knowable and
predictable in advance. I wonder if there is, or could be made, a way to
leverage that so that future moving of files can be done without
causing problems, as long as the files themselves remain otherwise
identical. As an example, the current cleanup scripts might be found in
old/gen7 in the future. Although using git would probably be a better
choice as it would seem to eliminate URL hunting.