guix-devel

Re: Please explain these fundamental terms to me?

From: Sage Gerard
Subject: Re: Please explain these fundamental terms to me?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:36:24 +0000

Excuse my mistake in missing the definition of binary seed mentioned here "opaque ascii or binary seeds that are injected during build time." Disregard that part.

On 9/24/21 2:35 PM, Sage Gerard wrote:

Hello!

I'm confused about fundamental definitions from the manual.

> Possibly one of the most harmless, but certainly by far the biggest binary seed that all software distributions inject are the so [called] bootstrap binary seed. Bootstrap binaries are the initial binary seeds that are used to start building the distribution. -- https://www.gnu.org/software/mes/manual/html_node/Bootstrappable-Builds.html

This definition of bootstrap binary seeds confused me because

Also, in reading section 1.4 I didn't come away knowing what a full source bootstrap even is. Does that mean you reproduce the hex0 binary, and then use progressive stages to eventually reproduce the source code for a version of Guix? Or does it mean that you reproduce an exact disk image for an OS for the same CPU architecture as the hex program, with a copy of the Guix source ready to go on that system?