guix-devel

Re: How to solve "abiI-check: recompilation needed"

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How to solve "abiI-check: recompilation needed"
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:03:29 -0400

Hello,

> Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> quite often, after "git pull" I'm facing this error when running
>> "make-make-go":
>>
>> $ make make-go
>> Compiling Scheme modules...
>> Compiling Scheme modules...
>> [ 69%] LOAD     gnu/packages/admin.scm
>> error: failed to load 'gnu/packages/check.scm':
>> ice-9/eval.scm:293:34: In procedure abi-check: #<record-type
>> <package>>: record ABI mismatch; recompilation needed
>> make: *** [Makefile:7096: make-packages-go] Fehler 1
>>
>> How can I solve this, without removing and rebulding *all* files -
>> which is time consuming and a waste of electric power.
>
> You need to rebuild all users of the modified record types.  I don’t
> know if you can easily figure out which files these are.
>
> The suggested fix is in fact to rebuild all go files, i.e. “make
> clean-go” and then “make -j”.

For this example, there's no good way as 'package' is used in a majority
of the Guile modules.  It it had been something more specific, such as
the <bootloader-configuration> record, you could have gotten away with:

$ git grep -l bootloader-configuration | grep '.scm' \
  | sed 's/.scm/.go/' | xargs rm

$ make

Which I often though to save recompilation time.

HTH,

Maxim