guix-devel

Re: Rethinking propagated inputs?

From: Sarah Morgensen
Subject: Re: Rethinking propagated inputs?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 17:50:38 -0700

Hi Liliana,

(Efraim, I've Cc'd you since you're working on re-doing Rust inputs.)

Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have an idea how we should handle propagations for the sake
> of pkg-config?  Perhaps we could add "linked-inputs", which are added
> when building packages and environments when not using --ad-hoc, but
> not when union-building profiles.  WDYT?

I know nothing about pkg-config, but such an input would help
simplify things for Go (and I think for Rust) since many inputs need to
be propagated only at build-time.

What do you think of "build-propagated-inputs"?

(A quick search of the ML turned up one previous discussion [0]; does
anyone know of others?)

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-02/msg00362.html

--
Sarah