guix-devel

Re: Audacity has new administration

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Audacity has new administration
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:07:39 +0200

Hi Bone Baboon,

thank you for the further info!

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

[...]

> # On by default telemetry
>
> On by default telemetry is being introduced to Audacity.  This does not
> comply with the No Malware section of the FSDG.
> <https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html>

Will be possible to disable Audacity telemetry in our official Guix
package definition using a build flag or a patch?

AFAIK the answer is yes, this means Audacity Guix package can (easily)
be "transformed" to be FSDG compliant when (if?) telemetry will be set
opt-out upstream; if the answer will be no, we should remove the next
Audacity-with-undisableable-telemetry version.

[...]

> # Freedom 0
>
> Audacity can no longer be used for any purpose.  Section 3 of the Muse
> Group's new privacy policy for Audacity
> <https://www.audacityteam.org/about/desktop-privacy-notice/> says:

The policy below is a DRAFT document.

It does not apply to any current Audacity release as these do not
include networking features.

it's still a draft and it does not apply to current release

>> 3 Minors
>>
>> 1 The App we provide is not intended for individuals below the age
>> of 13. If you are under 13 years old, please do not use the App.

I really don't know the rationale for that (draft) privacy notice, but -
although IANAL - I'm almost sure they can not add any sort of
restriction to run the program via some sort of "EULA-like" clauses like
a "Privacy Notice"... so let's see how the legal situation of Audacity
will evolve: I'm pretty confident they'll remove the above mentioned
article 3 (Minors) before the next release :-)

[...]

Anyway, as Leo P. correcly points out, Guix can provide both official
Audacity (with telemetry disabled by default) and any of it's coming
forks.

Happy hacking! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo