guix-devel

Re: Telemetry on by default kitty

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Telemetry on by default kitty
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 08:52:52 -0400

Leo Prikler writes:
> If I read terminals.scm, we already disable the telemetry in kitty:
>
>> (invoke "python3" "setup.py" "linux-package"
>>         ;; Do not phone home.
>>         "--update-check-interval=0"

> @Bone: Did you notice any other telemetry during your further code
> review (or are you still in the process of reviewing the code)?  If
> not, please try to cross-check Guix sources to see whether we already
> disable telemetry, so as to not cause unwarranted panic :)

I have followed up with kitty's use of telemetry by opening an issue on
the kitty repository.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty/issues/3802

I suggested that all the uses of telemetry be documented and that there
be a configuration to disable all telemetry.

My interpretation of the response is that the update checking telemetry
is the only telemetry and that the way to disable it is how it is being
done in terminals.scm.