guix-devel

Re: Help me create a janet-build-system

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Help me create a janet-build-system
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:25:00 -0400 (EDT)

Leo,

Thanks for your reply

On Sat, 15 May 2021, Leo Prikler wrote:

Your code imports (guix utils), but (guix utils) is not present within
the module closure present at build time.
Did you mean (guix build utils)?

I used cc-for-target and cxx-for-target from (guix utils). Where would I add (guix utils) so it is included on the build side?

More generally, I expect there are many ways I could improve the
build system. What are they?
I know little about jpm, but in my opinion you ought to let the user
customize the flags passed on to jpm at least in the build target --
not so sure about check and install.  If janet-build-system allows some
degree of customization, consider also letting the user override the
test-target.

I think I should at least try to make the with-toolchain package transformation option work. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much customization jpm offers without editing project.janet. I'll take a look at some of the other build systems for language-specific build tools for ideas (I think a lot of them have a similar, minimal feature set). I also hope that once I get a working build system and gain some experience using it to create packages, some customization opportunities will present themselves.

Best,
Jack