guix-devel

Re: Guix Home upstreaming plan

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Guix Home upstreaming plan
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 11:13:09 +0300

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> So, I have yet to go ahead and use it for myself to get a better feel.
> In the meantime, I looked at
> <https://guix-home.trop.in/Home-Configuration.html>, and I like what I
> see!  It’s great that you already have clear documentation and that
> everything looks consistent with the rest of Guix.

> Since this kind of tool is rather unusual (there’s no real equivalent
> I’m aware of in other distros), I think the manual will have to
> carefully explain what problems this solves and explain why someone
> would want to use it.  For example, I think the term “home environment”
> should be defined upfront (I’d summarize it as user configuration files
> + user services, from my reading.)

Sounds reasonable, added a TODO note for that.

> I’m all for it.  We’ll have to discuss it together, in particular among
> maintainers, but an option would be to give you commit access for the
> purposes of developing this branch.

Sound good to me.  We still have some work to be finished before
upstreaming, but hope we will be good to go by the time other
maintainers will reply.

> I would also like to know what Julien thinks; I think it’s in our
> interest to see cooperation and not competition between the two
> approaches you developed.  Julien, WDYT of the plan?  More specifically,
> is there anything about the design that you’d like to discuss before we
> go further?  Are there guix-home-manager features that could eventually
> make it in Guix Home?

BTW, from time to time people ask about read-only home feature) I reply
that it is theoretically possible, but probably won't be implemented
anytime soon.

> I find the steady progress on Guix Home and the level of polish already
> achieved pretty exciting.  If people agree, I think we could aim for
> merging it in the next Guix release, which would leave us a few months.

Thank you for kind words!)  A few months should be enough.  Looking
forward to see other maintainers thoughts.

> Thank you!

Sure!