guix-devel

Re: Organizing Tui Apps

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: Organizing Tui Apps
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 22:00:14 +0200

Am Freitag, den 23.04.2021, 15:04 +0000 schrieb jgart:
> This is a continuation of the thread started at
> http://issues.guix.gnu.org/47852
>
> Ekaitz: What do we want to be the main point of the programs: their
> UI or their goal?
>
> jgart: I would prefer for them to be catalogued based on their
> intended usage or goal, as Ekaitz
> suggested.
>
> What do people think?
>
> For sc-im I last sent a patch that puts it in a new file/module
> called spreadsheets.
>
> Is everyone happy with that suggestion from Leo?
>
> I think it is a good idea and seems to agree with what we were
> leaning towards in the conversation.
>
> I guess now we just need to put more spreadsheet programs into the
> spreadsheets module to justify it :slight_smile:
Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important ones
(libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module for
obvious reasons ;)
Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better, because
then we could at least add some small word processors to it, WDYT?  Or
maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard enough
.

I don't think, we should have a tui-apps module.  How would you feel
about a gui-apps module, that has all of GNOME, KDE and some more?  Not
really good, no?  How about cli for everything, that has a CLI?
Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Regards,
Leo