guix-devel

Re: Outreachy - Guix Data Service: questions about improving the data fo

From: Luciana Lima Brito
Subject: Re: Outreachy - Guix Data Service: questions about improving the data for derivation comparisons.
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 20:00:40 +0000

Hi,

> Small intentional changes are better, so I'd start just with looking
> at some of the data coming out of the query. But yes, I think you're
> in the right place. The hard part here is probably to look at how
> those values are used in the JSON and HTML rendering code, and adjust
> that accordingly.

I made some modifications(moved the tests from controller.scm to
comparison.scm) in order to remove the value "#f" from the outputs
"hash-algorithm" and "hash" when rendering the html, for derivations
that don't have these values set, but doing that now I'm showing them
as empty fields on the json (instead of omitting them entirely).
This simplified a bit the processing on render-compare/derivations,
and I think the html output is also better. For inputs, sources, etc,
there are no processing being done on controller.scm other than the
map. I can't see now what else could be done in this regard.

An idea I had was to remove the entire map functions from the
controller.scm to comparison.scm, but this would impact the html, so I
would also have to modify the html, because the data format for json and
html are slightly different. I'm not sure if this is what you want.

--
Best Regards,

Luciana Lima Brito
MSc. in Computer Science