guix-devel

Splitting up packages, targeting smaller/older devices

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Splitting up packages, targeting smaller/older devices
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:01:28 +0200

> One thing I'd like to try is to split up packages into more outputs,
> kinda like what Alpine does. This isn't really technically
> challenging,
> it's mostly just busywork and adding some default build phases and
> maybe some more default outputs. But it is a pretty big change, so,
> is
> this something that could eventually be upstreamed?
Not only is this very doable, it is in fact what Guix somewhat actively
do in order to reduce closure size.  I'm not sure if there's a "one
size fits all" phase, that could help you accomplish this, but a post-
install "move this part elsewhere" has worked for many things in the
past.

The only problem is that depending on the packages you want to make
smaller, you might end up
a) not making a difference, because the output is still needed
(unlikely, but possible)
b) targeting core-updates, which delays the time your patches can be
rolled out to everyone.

That being said, if you have concrete ideas about packages you wish to
reduce in size through more outputs, do bring them forth, either in a
discussion or with a patch.

Regards,
Leo