guix-devel

Re: Security related tooling project OFF TOPIC PRAISE

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Security related tooling project OFF TOPIC PRAISE
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:13:53 -0400

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

> Hey,
>
> In May last year (2020), I submitted an application to NLNet. The work I
> set out wasn't something I was doing at the time, but something I hadn't
> yet found time to work on, tooling specifically around security issues.
>
> The application got a bit lost, probably somewhat down to email issues
> on my end. Anyway, things picked up again in February of this year
> (2021), and this is now something I'm looking to do roughly over the
> next 8 months.

Sweet action bro!  Way to land a guix related job for the next 8 months!
That's awesome!

> I've been working on stuff in and around Guix for I think around 5 years
> now, and in that time I have attempted some big projects, particularly
> things like the Guix Data Service and Guix Build Coordinator. I've fit
> all of that around a regular non-Guix related work. The support of NLNet
> means I'm able to set aside more time for Guix and this work, exactly
> how much more time I can dedicate is something I'm still working on.

I'm looking forward to the tooling that you'll develop!  I've heard cool
things about the Guix Data Service and the Build Coordinator.  I've no
doubt that your security related tooling will be just as fantastic!

> There's a more complete description of the aims and tasks here [1], this
> email is effectively the start of the work. I want to get lots of input
> and feedback on the plans I've set out, as well as checking if there's
> any related or overlapping work going on.
>
> 1: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/tooling-to-improve-security-and-trust/about/

Are you using guix system to serve the above link?  I didn't realize
that gitolite could render a README document so well!

> Please let me know if you have any comments or questions!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

It'll be interesting when people stop saying that "OpenBSD" has fixed
that security issue, and instead they say guix system fixed that
security flaw.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus