guix-devel

Re: Finding the channel in which a package is defined

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Finding the channel in which a package is defined
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 15:26:42 +0200

Hello Konrad,

> Is there a simple way to find out in which channel a given package was
> defined? I tried "guix edit" to see the source code, but it shows a file
> from a "module-union" directory in the store.

You can run something like:

,use (guix describe) (gnu packages) (gnu packages linux)
(%package-module-path)
(package-channels strace)

in a "guix repl" to determine the channel providing "strace". If you
replace "strace" by a package provided by my-channel, "package-channels"
should return a list containing the default Guix channel as well as
my-channel.

Mathieu