guix-devel

Re: [aarch64] sbcl build failure

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: [aarch64] sbcl build failure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 01:26:20 -0400

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 12:15:01AM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> I'm looking at the following cl-zstd build failure:
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/133326/details
> which is caused by sbcl build failure that I
> reproduced locally.

During the recent staging cycle, I noticed a huge number of SBCL build
failures, especially when emulating aarch64 on x86_64.

> I diffed the CI build log output with my local
> attempt and got the same thing modulo timings
> [1] and other harmless stuff.
>
> [1] the Odroid N2 looks roughly 3x faster than the CI
> on this specific build / test (total 30 mins vs 90).

If it was an emulated build, that's more or less expected. The emulation
is very slow.

Comparing the Overdrive 1000 (4 x Cortex-A57, 25 watts TDP) to the
Odroid N2 (4 x Cortex-A73 and 2 x Cortex-A53, only 5 watts TDP), I'd
guess the Overdrive will complete the compilation more quickly, despite
the older design and lower core count.

I'm retrying the build now on one of the Overdrives.