guix-devel

Re: Finding the store path of a package

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Finding the store path of a package
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 18:58:18 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> Here’s an example of how to do that:

Works fine, thanks!

> Why #:graft? #f?  Because if you enable graft, you’ll potentially have
> to build/download the thing, and that wouldn’t buy you anything because
> the set of file names is the same in the grafted package.

OK, so that's the secret, because that's the only difference with what
I tried before.

One day I'll figure out how grafts work, but that day is not today ;-)

> For #2, there have been discussions about building a service that would
> create such a database—a mapping from file names to packages.  It’s not
> possible to do with purely local knowledge because, by definition, you’d
> have to build/download every package.  I don’t think it has materialized
> yet, though.

That would certainly be the best solution, but in the meantime, I'll go
ahead with what is possible today. In practice, I expect most such
queries to succeed because there are only a few packages that contain
popular commands, and those are usually in the store.

Cheers,
  Konrad.