guix-devel

Re: Sharing system users for related services

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: Sharing system users for related services
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:13:36 +0100

Hi raingloom,

Am Montag, den 22.03.2021, 13:40 +0100 schrieb raingloom:
> I'm packaging the Molly Brown Gemini server and I'm trying to play
> nice
> with the already packaged gmnisrv.
> Should the two use the same service name and system users? Most users
> probably won't want to run both servers at the same time, so the
> former
> seems like a good idea. And the latter would be preferable because if
> they use the same certs, %gmnisrv-activation will trample over the
> permissions when they do want to run both for some reason.
>
> So should I just reuse %gmnisrv-accounts or should they both use a
> shared %gemini-server-accounts?
As the one, who wrote the code, that lets you share accounts as list
"pointers" in the first place, I do think something along the lines of
  (define %molly-brown-accounts %gmnisrv-accounts)
with an appropriate comment should be fine, especially for a proof of
concept implementation.  That being said, patch review is an ideal
opportunity to bikeshed such definitions ;)

Regards,
Leo