guix-devel

Re: Release 1.2.1: Remove 31 Python 2 packages

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Release 1.2.1: Remove 31 Python 2 packages
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 20:03:55 -0500

Hi Simon,

> Hi,
>
> Using “guix weather --display-missing” at commit 6bed29b, I have
> identified these 31 Python 2 packages to remove:
>
> python2-arrow
> python2-cairocffi
> python2-cairocffi
> python2-dulwich
> python2-fido2
> python2-flask
> python2-flask-babel
> python2-flask-htmlmin
> python2-flask-login
> python2-flask-multistatic
> python2-flask-wtf
> python2-furl
> python2-graphql-core
> python2-httpbin
> python2-ipykernel
> python2-ipyparallel
> python2-ipython
> python2-ipython-cluster-helper
> python2-ipywidgets
> python2-jupyter-console
> python2-mpd2
> python2-mutagen
> python2-nbxmpp
> python2-pyfakefs
> python2-rq
> python2-sh
> python2-stem
> python2-tables
> python2-utils
> python2-widgetsnbextension
> python2-wsgiproxy2
> python2-yubikey-manager
>

> They do not build.  The Python 3 variant builds or does not exist.
>
> Last, “guix refresh -l <pkg>” is fine.
>

> Any objection?

It's hard objecting to removing Python 2 packages, with Python 2 having
been EOL since 2020.  In my opinion, some exceptions could apply, if
something provides unique value that cannot be substituted.  I guess
these are increasingly rare...

In the end though, the Python 2 packages must go, so I think it's not
unreasonable to remove the broken ones to start.  Someone finding the
packages important enough could fix them and publish them in a separate
Python 2 channel.

So, no objections here.

Maxim