guix-devel

Re: Generate diff with git-diff and use in patches field of packages

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Generate diff with git-diff and use in patches field of packages
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:49:37 +0100

Hi Leo,

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 12:09, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:42:32PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
>> If the package already uses git-fetch, why not directly uses the commit
>> fixing the issue as source?
>
> It's different to build from a Git commit vs to cherry-pick a single
> commit.

I could miss something but I was not suggesting to cherry-pick. :-)
Cherry-picking means use the current packaged version and backport to it
the commit(s) fixing the issue.

I am suggesting to update the packaged version to the upstream version
at commit.  But maybe it is not possible because the new upstream has
changed some API or whatever breaking some dependants.

Cheers,
simon