guix-devel

Re: Implications of QEMU binfmt transparent emulation for builds

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Implications of QEMU binfmt transparent emulation for builds
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 00:19:44 +0100

On Sat, 2021-03-06 at 21:35 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:

In general I think binary translation is very wasteful use of computing
resources. At least use something like this:
http://csl.iis.sinica.edu.tw/hqemu/ - otherwise I think building
natively is at the end less costly.

> I'd like the Guix Build Coordinator agents to be able to report the
> configuration of the machine at the time builds happen, so maybe once
> that's a feature, and QEMU support can be detected, then it'll be
> possible to look for cases where a change in QEMU support affects the
> build result.

What about including such metadata in Nars directly? Kernel name and
version string, system/target, processor model.. or is that too
privacy-invasive..? Maybe make such opt-in.

Léo