guix-devel

option hint for all commands?

From: zimoun
Subject: option hint for all commands?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 00:47:43 +0100

Hi,

>From patch#45893 [1]:

>                 it works for commands using 'parse-command-line' and
> not 'args-fold*'.  For example, one patch of the series replace for
> "guix show" and "guix search".  I would like to replace all the
> args-fold* by parse-command-line, I think it makes sense.  WDYT?

which means that:

        $ guix build --load-pth=/tmp/ hello
        guix build: error: load-pth=/tmp/: unrecognized option
        hint: Did you mean `load-path'?

        $ guix show --load-pth=/tmp/ hello
        guix show: error: load-pth=/tmp/: unrecognized option

Other said, all the commands using ’parse-command-line’ enjoy the typo
hinter and all the commands using ’args-parse*’ don’t.  I am proposing
to use ’parse-command-line’ for all the commands .  Any objection?

In [2]–with the correction passing ’#:build-options? #f’–there is an
example for “guix show” and “guix search”.

(using patch#46308 [3] i.e., commit e68ae7f)

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/45893>
2: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/45893#4>
3: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/46308>

All the best,