guix-devel

Re: Gnome Boxes

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Gnome Boxes
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:56:44 +0100

Julien Lepiller 写道:
Usually compression is provided by the webserver, but maybe ours is not configured to do that. I think we're the only distro to provide compressed isos.

Really? Most distribution ISOs use squashfs or similar with XZ/LZMA compression. It doesn't make sense to compress that over the wire.

That said: XZ compression currently saves 27% (559M -> 405M). Transparently serving pre-compressed ISOs with nginx (gzip level 9) would save about 25% (559M -> 415M), which is surprisingly similar.

Kind regards,

T G-R