guix-devel

Re: How to store secrets when using guix deploy?

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: How to store secrets when using guix deploy?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 21:51:41 +0100

Hello,

Guix itself does not handle any secrets yet -- at best you could
consider the password field of the user-account structure to be one,
and that is not particularly kept a secret either (it shows up as
plaintext).  Depending on your use-case, there might also be services
like the letsencrypt-service-type to generate X.509 certificates.
Other than that, you may be able to send some already encrypted file to
your machine, but you'll have to manually set up decryption through
other means unless you want plaintext in your store again.

That's the status quo as far as I understand.  How it *should* handle
secrets remains an open question if I recall correctly.

Regards,
Leo