guix-devel

Re: Changes to the branching workflow

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Changes to the branching workflow
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 20:34:34 +0100

Hi Leo!

Leo Famulari 写道:
I thought that the use of -frozen and -next might help avoid mistakes
during the active part of the cycles.

Ah, there's my blind spot. What kinds of mistakes? When is it harmful to push to the open branch?

I say ‘the open branch’ because core-updates and core-updates-next are the same thing, constantly changing its name in perfect (manual!) sync with -frozen & I don't understand why (yet). Seems obscure & error prone.

If someone wasn't aware of the branch status, the lack of a
'core-updates' branch might make them think twice and ask for advice.

I think they'll push and create a third one.  I won't blame them.

Kind regards,

T G-R