guix-devel

Re: ZFS on Guix

From: raid5atemyhomework
Subject: Re: ZFS on Guix
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 06:04:29 +0000

Hi Joshua,

> raid5atemyhomework raid5atemyhomework@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > The patchset currently dying on issues.guix.gnu.org would provide a nice
> > simple single-step way to enable very basic ZFS support on your Guix
> > system. Until it gets merged, however, you can still enable very very basic
> > ZFS support on your Guix system by following the below minimal guide.
>
> If this patch does not get merged into guix, then you could always add
> it to the cookbook. :)

It includes changes to how Guix builds the system, and requires code changes to
Guix itself, not just to the `configuration.scm`.

The code changes enable:

* `/home` on ZFS.
* Allowing you to put any filesystem inside a `zvol` and declare it in
`file-system`.
* Assurance that by the time `file-systems` is started, even ZFS automounts
have been mounted; important if you are starting a Shepherd service that has
been configured to access filesystems (i.e. all the important ones).

The modifications in the previous email work only in `configuration.scm` but do
not allow the above.  I think `/home` on ZFS is an important target to have
(it's what I wanted for my server) at least, but requires changes to how other
services in Guix System are built anyway.

Thanks
raid5atemyhomework