guix-devel

Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 01:26:33 +0100

Hi Bengt,

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 at 22:13, Bengt Richter <bokr@bokr.com> wrote:
> On +2021-02-06 20:20:04 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:

>> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
>> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it, and
>> clicking all the relevant links.
>>
>> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
>> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>>
>>  - Broken packages
>>  - Broken system tests
>>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>>  - Lint warnings
>>  - ...

[...]

> Mainly, please represent the info so that a person can get it with wget
> and extract items with grep or simple tool and inspect with any editor.
>
> I.e., some form of structured text. Someone will make a shiny browser
> interface,
> but don't please don't make that a dependency for access to the data.

AFAIK, once you know where the data is, it is JSON.  For example:

<https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs/output-history.json>

The issue is to know what is the API.  Once you know it, you do not need
“shiny browser interface” to get them.  For a simple example, see:

    <https://yhetil.org/guix/86mu0rt95k.fsf@gmail.com/>

Having the API documented with plain words would be nice.  Help welcome! :-)

> Good tags for searching are helpful, of course.

I have always mixed feeling about tags.  Well, it depends on what you
name ’tags’ and what you want to search for.

All the best,
simon