guix-devel

Re: Emacs and URLs in Git commit messages

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Emacs and URLs in Git commit messages
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 21:00:32 -0800

Hi,

Thank you for the replies!

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I have this helper for debbugs.el:
>
> (defun ludo-copy-debbugs-url ()
>   "Add to the kill ring the URL of the Debbugs issue at point."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((url1 (concat "https://bugs.gnu.org/";
>                     (number-to-string (debbugs-gnu-current-id))))
>       (url2 (concat "https://issues.guix.gnu.org/";
>                     (number-to-string (debbugs-gnu-current-id)))))
>     (kill-new url1)
>     (kill-new url2)
>     (message "Copied %s and %s" url1 url2)))
>
> (define-key debbugs-gnu-mode-map (kbd "C-w") 'ludo-copy-debbugs-url)
>
> That way I can C-w on a bug in *Guix Bugs* and I get the two URLs in the
> clipboard (I normally use “bugs.gnu.org” as the canonical bug URL.)
>
> Ludo’.

OK, I see.  So I'm not missing out on some built-in Emacs (or
debbugs-emacs) magic; most people just put together something convenient
on their own.  That makes sense!  Thank you for the examples; it's
helpful to see how others are doing it.  I think I'll try something
similar.

Bengt Richter <bokr@bokr.com> writes:

> I am not sure I understand your context or goal in searching ;/

I'm always interested in finding more effective ways to get things done.
Sometimes, asking people how they do something is the best way to
discover new methods, even if the answer seems simple or obvious.

--
Chris