guix-devel

Installing a wrapper guile script in <out>/bin

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Installing a wrapper guile script in <out>/bin
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 13:16:10 +0100

Hi elaexuotee,

> More specifically, the package I have builds separate libraries for
> CPUs with
> AVX, AVX2, and no AVX support. Since build-type isn't sufficiently
> specific to
> distinguish such CPU features, I have, so far, opted to just build
> all three
> libs and stuff them under <out>/lib/<foo>.
That's certainly one approach to solving the issue of not knowing which
CPU your code runs on.  Another approach is described in [1] under the
section "Dependency graph rewriting".  TL;DR, just offer the base
package with no AVX features, an AVX package and an AVX2 package.  Then
build any dependants against the base package.  Users can afterwards
decide to build against optimized versions on their own.

Regards,
Leo

[1]
https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2018/01/pre-built-binaries-vs-performance/