guix-devel

Re: Questions regarding Python packaging

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Questions regarding Python packaging
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 14:30:41 +0100

Hi Lars,

Excerpts from Lars-Dominik Braun's message of January 23, 2021 1:34 pm:
>> Done! :-)
>> I've eventually succeeded in ("properly") packaging a software managed
>> with Poetry. And I've learned quite a lot on the way!
> oh, I see. I’ve actually been trying to replace python-build-system with
> a python-build based build. Attached is my current work in progress. I
> cannot quite build python-build, ,

?!
My `python-build` seems to work:

> because I’m lacking support for python-flit

I also had a problem with `python-flit`, but it was when I was working
on `python-typer`:

This is why I didn't build it from the source.

> but I think the general idea is clear: Remove pip and
> setuptools from python (saves almost 20MiB from the closure and avoids
> weird conflicts between python’s setuptools and python-setuptools) and
> turn them into (almost) ordinary packages. Then use setuptools to
> bootstrap itself, bootstrap python-build with setuptools and use
> python-build to build evrey other packages using python-build-system.

Wow, the rest is way out of my comfort zone! But I'll read it carefully
and try to help if I can!

Best regards,

--
Tanguy