guix-devel

Re: GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH error?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH error?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 00:17:53 +0100

>> I have added a search path specification to the “guix” package itself,
>> so that it will set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH to
>> $profile/share/guix/extensions automatically.  The idea is to update the
>> format of the “channels.scm” file to allow for the installation of extra
>> packages into the “guix pull” profile (by default that’s
>> ~/.config/guix/current).
>
> ...because yeah that's the aim. :-)  Provide extensions as channels.

It’s very similar to providing extensions as channels, but without
actually using the channel mechanism.   Channels are a little different
from regular packages.  They consist solely of Guile source files, they
are not compiled ahead of time but built during “guix pull”, and they
cannot have inputs other than channels.

Extensions like the GWL have non-trivial dependencies, which cannot be
included when the GWL is treated as a channel.

Maybe there’s a way to express channels themselves as regular packages,
but I’m not seeing it.  So until we can unify this, extensions should be
installed as packages once “guix pull” has finished building the new
Guix (with all its channels).

Does this make sense?

--
Ricardo