guix-devel

Re: How would packaging Steam-proton games be received?

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: How would packaging Steam-proton games be received?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 18:54:56 +0000

Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> writes:

> Happy end of the forever year, everyone
>
> One thing I know that I have run into, and have heard so many times over
> from those on Windows is how unstable or much of a hassle it can be to get
> games to work.  In the last few weeks, I spent ~20 hours just to this
> hassle myself.  Having everything included as a guix package would go a
> very long way to resolving these instabilities, kicking most of the
> problems down to just the kernel and kernel modules which is far more
> constrained.  This should make it easier to make not Windows more
> palatable, but AGPL+DRM isn't exactly the most cozy of relationships.
> Given this, would having these games as packages be permissible?  Perfect
> being the enemy of the good and all that.

Hi Josh,

I'm not quite sure what games/software you're referring to, can you
clarify?

In terms of Steam and Proton which you mention, as far as I'm aware,
Steam is non-free software, so not suitable for Guix to distribute
[1]. As for Proton, it might be free software, I'm unsure, so maybe that
would be useful to package?

1: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Software-Freedom.html

Thanks,

Chris