guix-devel

Re: Move LV2 plugins to dedicated module?

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: Move LV2 plugins to dedicated module?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:55:57 +0100

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:09:14 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> we have a whole bunch of LV2 audio plugins.  We don’t have a naming
> convention for them (there’s no guarantee the name includes “lv2”) and
> we seem to be adding these packages to (gnu packages audio) or (gnu
> packages music).
>
> What do you think about moving them all to a new module?  And what do
> you think about finding a naming convention, such as beginning the
> package name with “lv2-”?

Hi! Since noone else more involved chimed in so far:
I didn’t even notice that some plugins are in packages/music. I think
at at minimum, all audio plugins should be in the same module. Rather
audio than music, I’d say.

How about one module for both LV2 and LADSPA plugins, though?

A naming convention like lv2- would be most welcome.

Moving definitions from one module to another won’t affect any
installation, right? But I take it name changes break at least the
upgrade chain, so users should be made aware of that.

--
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de>