guix-devel

Re: When substitute download + decompression is CPU-bound

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: When substitute download + decompression is CPU-bound
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 16:33:54 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> My laptop has 4 cores, so at best I’d get a 4x speedup, compared to the
> 10x speedup with zstd that also comes with much lower resource usage,
> etc.

Of course, it's a trade off between high compression and high speed :)

Since there is no universal best option, I think it's best to support both.

> Would you like to give parallel lzip a try?

It shouldn't be too hard for me considering I already have experience
with Lzip, but I can only reasonably do this after FOSDEM, so in 1.5
month from now.

If I forget, please ping me ;)

If there is any taker before that, please go ahead! :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/