guix-devel

Re: Let guix client accept HTTP redirection

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Let guix client accept HTTP redirection
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:00:12 +0100

Hi,

Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> skribis:

> Good news.  The maintainers of mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn (an academic
> free software mirror site) agreed to accept Guix into their support
> list.

Nice!

> Bad news.  Their first implementation of a Guix mirror failed.  Their
> server architecture is like this: A front-end program accepts HTTP
> requests.  It looks up the requested resource from a storage server
> similar to Amazon S3.  If the resource is found on storage server,
> return an HTTP 302 redirection to the storage server.  If the resource
> is not found, return an HTTP 302 redirection to ci.guix.gnu.org and
> fetch the resource from ci.guix.gnu.org then store it in the storage
> server.  So the next time the same resource is requested, it can be
> served from the storage server.
>
> During the test, we found that guix client does not accept HTTP 302
> redirection.  So we are working on a different implementation.  In the
> meantime, I think the problem should be reported here and let's find out
> if something can be done from the Guix side.

Yes, people reported that issue just recently:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45174

Until that is fixed, and until the fix propagates to user installations,
I think you’ll have to arrange so that the mirror transparently proxies
requests instead of returning 302, or just returns 404.  How does that
sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.