guix-devel

Re: Offline build failure

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Offline build failure
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 22:42:23 +0100

Hullo Greg,

Greg Hogan 写道:
If there is a better way to setup / configure / execute offline builds
please let me know!

...yes :-)

I am attempting an offline build without success. I have a Guix 1.2.0 node
with internet access on which I download sources with transitive
dependencies:
  $ guix build --sources=transitive tzdata > ~/transfer

OK.

I then copy the files as root to a Guix 1.2.0 node without internet access
(only local network access):
# cat /home/<user>/transfer | xargs -n 1 -I{} scp -p {} <ip>:{}

Now you've basically reinvented ‘guix copy --to=<ip>’, but in a way that won't update the store database in /var/guix/db. I'm afraid that won't work.

Guix won't ‘see’ the files you copy to the remote store and will consider them G to be C'd next time you run ‘guix gc’. Or in this case:

Guix starts downloading and the transferred file is gone!

Same thing.

I'm lost as to
why a new download attempt is made as the file data and timestamps match
the original server.

If the file isn't registered in the database, the store item is never considered valid. Guix doesn't (yet) care about the data/timestamps at this point.

Kind regards,

T G-R