guix-devel

non-root store

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: non-root store
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 15:57:00 +0100

Hi Guix,

recently I’ve been playing with “guix pack -RR” and I’m very happy to
see how well it works.  Now I wonder if we could use the very same
mechanism to wrap guix-daemon and let it manage a store directory that
is not located at /gnu/store.

Surely somebody has already tried this?

A common complaint about Guix is that it requires root permissions to
install, which is “scary” and may seem unnecessary on single-user
systems.  By wrapping guix-daemon so that it uses file system
virtualization (via user namespaces, proot, or the glibc debug hack) we
could eliminate this obstacle.

What do you think?  Am I missing something obvious?

--
Ricardo