guix-devel

Re: Poetry upgrade and related packages

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Poetry upgrade and related packages
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 14:59:59 +0100

Hi Sébastien, hi Guix!

Excerpts from Sébastien Lerique's message of December 2, 2020 12:49 pm:
> This thread is an attempt to keep a handle on the various patches
> involved in upgrading Poetry to 1.1.4, and to ask a couple
> questions that crop up.
>
> - Tanguy's original patch http://issues.guix.info/44077 is merged
> - But python-packaging had to be downgraded again because it
>   generated too much rebuilds
>   <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-12/msg00003.html>
> - Tanguy submitted another patch for Poetry reducing
>   python-packaging's required version:
>   https://issues.guix.info/45003
>
> Now, there are a couple more hiccups with other packages:
> - poetry actually requires a more recent version of python-keyring
>   (>=21.2.0 instead of the current 21.0.0),
> - upstream python-keyring is at 21.5.0, which requires
>   python-setuptools >= 42 (guix now has 41.0.1)
> - as a sidenote, when I locally added setuptools >=42 explicitely
>   to python-keyring's native-inputs, it solved the version
>   declaration problem described here
>
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm?id=04b83678653fda3c66e600e88f54f5108290ec1c#n13228>
>
> Question: upstream setuptools is at 50.3.2, and they have dropped
> python2 support at v45 (see
> <https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/blob/master/CHANGES.rst>).
> Should we simply upgrade to v44, or rather create alternate
> python{,2}-setuptools-44 packages? `guix refresh -l
> python2-setuptools` lists 48 dependent packages.

Thank you for summarising the situation!

It's not yet clear to me how to handle (python) package updates:
- when to update;
- when not to update;
- when to introduce "versionned" (`-x.y` suffix) package definitions;
- when to introduce "next" (`/next` suffix) package definitions;
- when to remove the two above suffixes;
- …

So I'm looking forward to reading the answers to this thread! :-)

--
Tanguy