guix-devel

Re: Welcome to Grub!... for a minute

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Welcome to Grub!... for a minute
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:16:01 +0100

Hi!

[CC'ing only guix-devel@.]

Yasuaki Kudo 写道:
I just wanted to report (although this is probably already known) that I had to wait for a long time (probably more than a minute) staring at "Welcome to Grub!" screen upon reboot, after accumulating thousands of guix system generations. I was experimenting with something and I suspected that was the cause - sure enough, after deleting them all with guix system delete-generations command, the delay disappeared.

Just reporting 😄

And thank you for it! If this is where Guix ends up when left unattended, it should be fixed.

Easy to do by making the ‘old generations’ submenu a separate file that's loaded ‘on demand’. Actually doing so would still take as long, so the next logical step is to split it further into chunks. How, I guess, depends on how people actually use & browse thousands of generations. Do you?

Kind regards,

T G-R