guix-devel

Re: Discoverability at the REPL level

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Discoverability at the REPL level
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:03:51 +0100

zimoun 写道:
1. Does Guix want a system of aliases? For example, let the script
 “~/.config/guix/scripts/foo.scm“ and then ‘guix foo’.

I asked Guix and it said no, that's madness, sorry. I think I agree.

Letting packages like Julien's excellent guix-home-manager[0] extend guix is interesting (once it works[1] :-).

It feels natural enough and allows anyone on a ‘guix foo is broken’ support call to ‘guix install guix-foo && guix foo’ with little trouble.

Guix executing arbitrary scripts in ~/.config does neither.

I'm unconvinced there's a use case that justifies reinventing shell aliases in Guix, in a heavy-weight fashion, while simultaneously not being ‘worth’ a real Guixtension package.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix-home-manager
[1]: https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix-home-manager#creating-the-first-home-generation