guix-devel

Re: wip-node-14 branch

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: wip-node-14 branch
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 09:39:32 +0100

Hi!

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:

> First things first: most of the hard work has been done by others. I'd
> like to specifically thank Timothy Sample for their
> `other-node-build-system' and Ryan Prior for getting `esbuild' packaged
> and telling me about it. A shout out goes to Giacomo Leidi for making me
> grumpy enough with the existing node-build-system to finally sit down
> and fix this. I added Timothy as a Co-author on the first commit, so I
> hope that is Good Enough for the copyright situation.

Woow, well done!

> As a small extra, I have also worked on getting Timothy Sample's
> 'binary' npm importer to work with the contemporary guix import and
> guile-json APIs; I'd like some insight into whether this binary importer
> could still hold some value for inclusion in guix proper[3]. I could
> still add this code to the branch as well if there is interest.

I think it would make sense to include this importer.  The manual should
warn about the fact that it does not yield built-from-source packages
and perhaps give pointers on how to address that, but it can still be
useful, and probably even more useful if it’s in Guix proper.

Thoughts?

> I won't be able to commit significant chunks of time on my end in the
> upcoming month, but I've learned that it makes sense to share once you
> have something worth sharing, instead of when you think it's
> done. Reviews, tests and improvements very much welcome! I don't think
> it makes sense to still target the upcoming release for all of this fun
> stuff to be merged into master, but if somebody want to pick up the
> slack and champion that cause; go right ahead!

I think the key is to avoid bitrot: I suggest working to make sure you
can have that branch merged within, say, one or two months at most, even
if that means regularly pinging people.  :-)

Thanks!

Ludo’.