guix-devel

Re: Guide! Help! Using guix, or GNU/Linux, for secrecy, privacy.

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Guide! Help! Using guix, or GNU/Linux, for secrecy, privacy.
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 01:12:44 -0500

Hey Aniket,

This kind of question is best asked in help-guix@gnu.org.  That's where
non-developmental questions should go.  :)

But briefly here's my two cents: You should replace your wifi card.  I
believe there are other wifi cards available that work with free
software that should fit in your laptop.  Alternatively, there are even
ones that work with a usb port.  thinkpenguin.com should have some
options or ebay.  It'll cost you $10-$50 depending where you buy.

If you really want to browse the internet like Edward Snowden, then
having VPN over TOR is probably one of the better ways to go.  You'll
browsing speed probably won't support playing internet videos though.
You can set up your own VPN, but it's just easier to pay for it.  I use
expressVPN.  If you buy from expressVPN, let em know.  I can guide you
to setting it up with Guix.

I would recommend using Thunderbird as your email client.  We have it
packaged in guix as icedove.  I would also recommend dismail.de or
riseup.net to host your email.  Both are gratis, but please do consider
donating to their cause.

If you wanted to dive deeper into securing your computing, don't use a
computer. :)  But you could set up an encrypted hard drive, and possible
follow the Archlinux guide about security.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Security#Hardened_malloc

Do note that updating your CPU microcode is technically non-free, which
is mentioned in the guide.

Feel free to re-ask this question by emailing help-guix@gnu.org.

Thanks,

Joshua

P.S.  Sorry if linking to the Arch GNU/Linux wiki is frowned upon, but
it still is the best wiki I've come across.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus