guix-devel

Re: Linux-Libre-LTS

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Linux-Libre-LTS
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 11:56:24 +0100

Hi Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan 写道:
Sure! Yeah, making it default was the next thing in my mind.

Honestly no idea where I stand on that but I can bring the popcorn.

We should use upstream[0] release names, though, not roll our own
(+less clear) ones.  So ‘-longterm’ instead of ‘-lts’.

By upstream you mean linux-libre or linux?

Linux.

Linux-Libre don't develop a kernel nor backport/provide any of said long-term ‘support’. They're ‘upstream’ of us in a trivial way: we gratefully re-use their work.

The linux-libre uses the name 'lts'.

Where?  It's neither here[0] nor there[1].  I found it on blogs.

The name isn't that important; just don't change it for fun, and ‘longterm’ is what I'm used to hearing upstream.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
[1]: http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/5.4.74-gnu/