guix-devel

Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 11:51:05 +0200

Hello,

I'm working with Heads on using Guix to build Heads' source code reproducibly.

Now, Heads has most of its stuff on CI servers that use Docker for a lot of
things.

Therefore, I used Guix pack in the usual way to create a recent Guix
binary release and then just loaded that into a docker container, using that to
run "guix build".

That got me thinking--this situation is pretty common.  Do you think it would
make sense to actually build and release a Docker container for Guix (not
guix system; just guix-the-package-manager)?

While I was researching gitlab, I came across a feature where they have their
own Docker container registry on there.  Apparently, the Docker CLI can fetch
from whatever server the user wants!

$ docker run [options] registry.gitlab.com/group/project/image [arguments]

That got me thinking, we could easily also release Guix on something like
that.  Is our HTTP webserver enough to have a Docker registry, without
installing extra stuff?

$ docker run localhost/foo
Unable to find image 'localhost/foo:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Get "http://localhost/v2/": dial tcp
127.0.0.1:80: connect: connection refused.

Aha!

Do we want to do it?