guix-devel

Re: [OUTREACHY] Proposal: substitutes over IPFS

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: [OUTREACHY] Proposal: substitutes over IPFS
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:36:31 +0200

Hello Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2020.
szept. 16., Sze, 16:28):

> Hi Ludo,
>
> > I prefer not to volunteer to mentor it, but I’m happy to contribute to
> > discussions and code review.
> >
> > Who’d be willing to mentor it?
>
> I don't know what exactly that implies, so all I say for now is that I'd
> be happy to participate in this project. I know the IPFS side rather
> well, but have only a user-level knowledge of how Guix handles
> substitutes.
>
> Does Outreachy call for a single mentor, or can it be a team?

I believe it is better if  it's a team. How it worked in the past was
that we usually designated one person to be the primary mentor,
and have others help out when they were unavailable. Also we usually
had one hour weekly where there was live discussion,
where all the mentors were participating. Outreachy asks for a 5 hour
per week commitment from the team per intern.
Usually there are peeks when this can be more, but there are periods
when this is just too much. It all boils down to good communication
though.
I would be happy to co-mentor this, although I do not have too much
hands on knowledge about substitute handling code either.

> Konrad.

Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21