guix-devel

Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 13:15:39 +0200

Hi Simon!

> If you are going to an local SQL database, my two questions are:
>
> a)
> Which part would update it?  “guix pull”?  Other?  Even using
> substitutes, the channels and co could lead to an extra cost and so what
> is acceptable and what is not?

I suggest fetching database updates when performing the filesearch, just
like `guix size` does.

The induced cost would be little in my opinion.  A compressed database
for a whole generation is below 10 MiB.  This operation would need to be
done only once per Guix generation.  If we are a bit smart with timestamping
and only send a diff, it could even be much, much smaller.

> b)
> Could you also include other fields such that “synopsis” and
> “description”?  Because it could speed up “guix search” without adding
> (or modifying) the current cache
> (~/config/guix/current/lib/package.cache); discussed at length in
> #39258 <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39258>.

I think this is a bit beyond the scope of this patch set.  I'd rather
focus on files exclusively for now and proceed one step at a time :)

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/